Magnesium deficiency is getting to be big news! Less than 30% of US adults consume the RDA of magnesium and many don’t get enough daily to remain healthy. So here are a few things to ask yourself to see if you are getting enough. If you find that you answered YES to two or more of these questions, check with your doctor to see if supplementation is needed.
- Do you drink carbonated beverages regularly… most dark colored sodas contain phosphates, which bind with magnesium and make it unavailable to the body.
- Do you regularly eat cakes, desserts, candies, etc. that are high in refined sugar… To produce refined sugar from sugar cane, the molasses is removed and that’s where all the magnesium was!
- Do you experience excessive stress… physical or psychological stress uses more magnesium in our body.
- Do you take a diuretic, heart meds, birth control, etc…. medicines that cause more excretion of the kidneys causes more magnesium loss.
- Do you drink caffeinated or alcoholic beverages daily… Caffeine causes the kidneys to release excess magnesium from the body and alcohol works similarly to a diuretic.
- Do you take a calcium supplement without magnesium… calcium supplements can reduce magnesium absorption and retention. Having magnesium in your supplement can help counter that.
Some other physical symptoms of magnesium deficiency:
- Muscle spasms
- Muscle cramping
- Facial tics
- Eye twitches
- Difficulty getting and/or staying asleep
Your magnesium levels are definitely something to look into. Let the Trainers at IF help you navigate your way!